contrast in styles

A study in contrast.... finish photos (by Gary Griffin) from the Metcalf Low-Key Hillclimb:


Dan vs Gary
Comparing Gary Gellin's and my foot-falls at finish of Metcalf Low-Key Hillclimb.

Now no criticism of Gary; the man wins trail runs with time to spare. Really an inspiring runner.

Compare with Haile Gebrselassie, arguably the best distance runner on record.
Haille
Haile Gebrselassie (left)

Haile appears to not strike his heal, although against the principles of Chi Running, he is getting his foot out in front of him. Now this is a full-out sprint on the track, not steady-state. In this excellent video of Haille setting the world record at the Berlin Marathon, his running form appears more Chi-compliant. He is truly an inspiring image of economy and speed:


As my friend Nathan said, "I don't think Haile read Dreyer, I think Dreyer read Haile."

So I'm happy with my foot-strike, but I've got to find more economy and speed in my form. Okay, I won't be breaking 2:04 in marathons any time soon or not-so-soon, but surely I'm good for trimming that extra 76 seconds off my 10-km time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proposed update to the 1-second gap rule: 3-second gap

Post-Election Day

Marin Avenue (Berkeley)